15 British Nationals Murdered in Tunisia by Islamists in Terrorist Attack

15 British Nationals Murdered in Tunisia by Islamists in Terrorist Attack

North Africa Minister Tobias Ellwood confirmed at least 15 British nationals had been killed in yesterday’s attack, and warned the number might rise.

North Africa Minister Tobias Ellwood confirmed at least 15 British nationals had been killed in yesterday’s attack, and warned the number might rise.

This evening, Minister for the Middle East and North Africa Tobias Ellwood gave an update on the situation in Tunisia. Mr Ellwood said:

 

Sadly I can confirm that at least 15 British nationals were killed in yesterday’s atrocity. But I should stress that the number may well rise as several more have been seriously injured in this horrific attack.

The Foreign Office is doing everything possible. Our Crisis Centre has been working round the clock since the attack, and we have mobilised our Rapid Deployment Team designed to provide urgent UK assistance during events such as this. A UK police team has also been deployed to assist with the process of identification of victims. FCO staff are on the ground already, and are in hospitals and hotels looking after British nationals in conjunction with tour operators and airlines. And several flights have left today to bring people home, and more are planned. A further team of consular staff and experts are arriving today to further strengthen our support.

I spent much of the day on the phone with relatives of the victims and injured British nationals who have been caught up in this appalling attack. I offer my deepest sympathy.

We are doing everything we can to co-ordinate and co-operate with other countries and to share any information that we have with them. I have spoken with the Tunisian Interior Minister and the British Ambassador and we will do all we can to help.

This is the most significant attack on British people since 7/7, and highlights the ongoing threat from ISIL. This act of evil and brutality demonstrates why we must confront this kind of extremism, wherever it happens, at home or abroad.

 

Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond offers condolences to families and friends of victims and sets out Government response.

 

Speaking after he chaired COBR on Friday, Mr Hammond said:

I’d like to offer my condolences to the families and friends of the victims of these three shocking terrorist incidents in Tunisia, in Kuwait and in France. I’ve chaired a COBR meeting this afternoon to look at our response to all three of these incidents and there will be a further COBR meeting tomorrow morning.

Turning to the incident in Tunisia which of most direct concern to people in this country because of the number of Britons involved. It’s clear that there have been a number of people killed. The situation on the ground is still somewhat confused and we can’t be sure exactly how many but because of the nature of the composition of the tourist population in this part of Tunisia we have to assume that a high proportion of those killed and injured will have been British. We have had reports from families of those involved in the incident that allow us to confirm that at least five Britons have been killed in this incident but I should warn that we must expect that there will be more reports of fatalities as we establish the detail on the ground.

We have a consular team on the ground in Sousse. We have two further Rapid Response Teams going in overnight. We’re working with the Tunisian authorities to understand what they are doing in response to this incident and around tightening of security in the area but we’re talking to other national authorities, particularly the German authorities who have large numbers of tourists in the area and I’ve just finished a conference call with the tour operators who operate the majority of flights into this area.

Further information

Media enquiries

Further information

For further advice and information following the terrorist incident in Tunisia, including travel advice and concerns for those who may be involved, please see the FCO Tunisia travel advice page

Follow Foreign Office Travel Advice on Twitter

Enjoyed this post? Share it!