Government Guidance – Winter Weather 2014
Information relating to flooding, power cuts, travel and weather.
Winter weather: UK government response
First published: 26 November 2014
The United Kingdom has one of the most capable forecasting and warning systems in the world but extreme weather events can still cause disruption over winter.
Last winter, existing flood defences protected around 1.4 million properties and more than 2,500 square kilometres of farmland from flooding.
- Protecting your home
- Prepare for a flood and get help during and after
- Check flood warnings and river levels
- Sign up for flood warnings (England and Wales)
- Funding flood and coastal erosion risk management in England
- EA live flood warning map
Since last winter, the government and transport owners and operators have acted to further improve the resilience of our transport infrastructure and its operations. This section also contains links to travel updates, to guidance on driving in severe weather conditions and actions to take ahead of winter travel.
- When winter bites: driving in severe weather
- Network Rail live information
- Get ready for winter
- Traffic information
- Driving in severe weather
Up-to-date advice on weather in your area and severe weather warnings are provided by the Met Office.