Main Contractor Appointment for University of Cambridge
Chemistry of Health, Appointment for the demolition, design, refurbishment and construction.
United Kingdom-Cambridge: Construction work
Section I: Contracting authority
I.1)Name, addresses and contact point(s)
The Chancellor, Masters and Scholars of the University of Cambridge
c/o Estate Management, 74 Trumpington Street
For the attention of: Mr Joe Ackers, Project Manager
CB2 1RW Cambridge
Telephone: +44 1223337797
Fax: +44 1223766779
General address of the contracting authority: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/em
Further information can be obtained from: 3PM
1 Oliver’s Yard, 55-71 City Road
Contact point(s): Patrick Watson, Partner
EC1Y 1HQ London
Telephone: +44 2075668490
Internet address: www.rlf3pm.com
Specifications and additional documents (including documents for competitive dialogue and a dynamic purchasing system) can be obtained from: The above mentioned contact point(s)
Tenders or requests to participate must be sent to: The above mentioned contact point(s)
I.2)Type of the contracting authority
I.4)Contract award on behalf of other contracting authorities
Section II: Object of the contract
II.1.1)Title attributed to the contract by the contracting authority:
II.1.2)Type of contract and location of works, place of delivery or of performance
Design and execution
NUTS code UKH1
II.1.3)Information about a public contract, a framework agreement or a dynamic purchasing system (DPS)
II.1.5)Short description of the contract or purchase(s)
This appointment of the Main Contractor is initially for Stage 1 (the design phase) of a 2 stage Develop and Construct contract for the demolition, design, refurbishment and construction of the Chemistry of Health research facility and associated education space within Cambridge City based on the NEC ECC standard form of contract. This is estimated to fall within a cost envelope of 12 000 000 GBP – 14 000 000 GBP plus VAT and consists of enabling works, an element of refurbishment of existing facilities, laboratory space, teaching space, open plan and individual offices. The building is to be highly energy efficient. The contractor will be appointed at the end of RIBA Stage 3 to provide Pre Construction Services. The appointment may be continued through RIBA Stage 4 subject to the 2nd Stage Tender price. This is a restricted site and it is recommended that you view prior to responding to this notice.
II.1.6)Common procurement vocabulary (CPV)
45000000, 45214000, 45214500, 45214400
II.1.7)Information about Government Procurement Agreement (GPA)
II.1.9)Information about variants
II.2.1)Total quantity or scope:
The site is located at Union Road Car Park, Cambridge. Cambridgeshire, CB2, UK.
The contractual route will be a two stage tender. It is planned to issue documents in April 2015 and a start on site in Q4 15.
II.2.2)Information about options
II.2.3)Information about renewals
II.3)Duration of the contract or time limit for completion
Section III: Legal, economic, financial and technical information
III.1.1)Deposits and guarantees required:
III.1.2)Main financing conditions and payment arrangements and/or reference to the relevant provisions governing them:
III.1.3)Legal form to be taken by the group of economic operators to whom the contract is to be awarded:
In the event of a joint venture or consortium submitting an acceptable offer, it will be necessary for each member of the joint venture or consortium to sign an undertaking that each such member will be jointly and severally responsible for the due performance of the contract. Evidence of relevant insurances, including Professional Indemnity Insurance, shall be required from each member. Refer to section III.2 for further details.
III.1.4)Other particular conditions
Description of particular conditions: As detailed in the tender documentation.
III.2.1)Personal situation of economic operators, including requirements relating to enrolment on professional or trade registers
III.2.2)Economic and financial ability
1. Full name and business address, telephone and fax numbers, with details of the company and parent company (if applicable) including manpower structure and history.
2. Demonstrate possession of the necessary resources, capability, capacity and management to undertake the work over the period stated.
3. Demonstrate a quality management system to BS EN ISO 9001.
4. Hold Public Liability Insurance cover with a limit of at least 10 000 000 GBP.
5. Hold Professional Indemnity Insurance of at least 10 000 000 GBP.
6. Demonstrate an ethos of working with the client and design team to produce a finished facility which satisfies the Users’ requirement on the cost, with no sacrifice in the architectural merits of the building.
7. Be a member of the CIOB Chartered Builder Scheme or recognition within a professional body of similar standing.
8. Be a member of, or be willing to join, the Considerate Contractors Scheme.
9. Be a member of the CSCS Training Scheme.
10. Be Constructionline registered complete and up to date information in all categories.
11. Demonstrate an above average Health and Safety record, state all RIDOR notified incidents in the past 3 years.
12. Demonstrate the ability to involve sub-contractor specialist in the design process in order to fully develop the tender information.
13. Demonstrate recent relevant experience of 3 similar laboratory projects / restricted occupied sites undertaken in the last 4 years. Information should be provided on project values, sizes, clients and outcomes.
14. Have experience of the NEC form of contract, particularly with use on design and construction contracts and be willing to enter into an agreement using the NEC form.
15. Have experience of undertaking Two Stage Design, Develop and Construct projects, including staff experience in this form of procurement with the ability to manage the process.
16. Three reference sites should be identified and full contact details must be provided to permit references to be sought without further permission. The reference sites must be for projects having a minimum project cost of 15 000 000 GBP.
17. Have an in-house M & E co-ordinator with appropriate experience in arranging, supervising and managing the testing and commissioning of the services installation.
18. Demonstrate the capability to service a project in Cambridge if the Head Office location, or staff sourcing office, is located elsewhere.
19. Demonstrate the ethos of managing the design and construction of an energy efficient and low maintenance building by reference to sustainability policy and achievements.
20. Demonstrate ability to complete projects on time and within budget.
21. Provide details of the relevant education, professional qualifications and experience of all the managerial staff to be responsible for and associated with the project.
22. Contractors will be expected to commit themselves to maintaining the selected team individuals throughout the project period as far as is reasonably possible. A firm commitment on the availability of estimating resource will be required.
23. Show the ability to contribute to value management and value engineering processes.
24. Demonstrate the ability to control financial, quality and programme risks.
25. Have a proven record of producing project documentation which has been properly and fully completed on programme, for example, Building Manuals and Log Books.
III.3.1)Information about a particular profession
Reference to the relevant law, regulation or administrative provision:
III.3.2)Staff responsible for the execution of the service
Section IV: Procedure
IV.1.1)Type of procedure
IV.1.2)Limitations on the number of operators who will be invited to tender or to participate
Objective criteria for choosing the limited number of candidates: The strength and quality of responses to the requirements of III.2.
IV.1.3)Reduction of the number of operators during the negotiation or dialogue
IV.2.2)Information about electronic auction
IV.3.1)File reference number attributed by the contracting authority:
IV.3.2)Previous publication(s) concerning the same contract
IV.3.3)Conditions for obtaining specifications and additional documents or descriptive document
IV.3.4)Time limit for receipt of tenders or requests to participate
IV.3.6)Language(s) in which tenders or requests to participate may be drawn up
IV.3.8)Conditions for opening of tenders
Section VI: Complementary information
VI.1)Information about recurrence
VI.2)Information about European Union funds
Information about the tender process to be followed does not amount to a legally binding offer by the University to follow the process so described. The University reserves the right not to follow or to modify the procedures as the University considers necessary.
Expressions of interest only are required at this stage from Contractors wishing to be considered for inclusion on the tender list for this project. A shortlist of no less than three contractors will be compiled based upon the responses to this Notice, judged against the criteria listed herein under III.2.3. These contractors will then be invited to submit tenders for the work and attend a selection interview.
Please note that a pre-tender questionnaire will not be issued.
The response to this notice must therefore demonstrate the contractors suitability to undertake the project. The shortlisting will be scored as follows:
— Experience of delivering projects successfully (scored out of 20);
— Ethos and approach — demonstrated by working methods (scored out of 20);
— Resources for the project (scored out of 20);
— Proactiveness in demonstrating buildable solutions (scored out of 30);
— Quality Assurance (scored out of 10).
The awarding authority does not bind itself to accept either the lowest or any bid, and will not be held responsible for costs incurred by the bidders.
Submissions in response to this Notice must not extend to more than 20 pages of single sided A4, and should be a minimum of 10pt font size.
Company financial details and individual CV’s can be included separately. All discussions and correspondence will be conducted in English. The contract shall be subject to English Law. Please note that no further information regarding this tendering exercise is available at this time.
VI.5)Date of dispatch of this notice: