Office for National Statistics – Requirement for Media Organisations
Materials and Products, Printing and Publishing, Education
Location of contract
Value of contract
16 January 2017
13 February 2017
Contract start date
22 February 2017
Contract end date
22 August 2017
The ONS is looking to partner with 3 to 4 media organisations to offer a month’s paid internship, focused on data journalism, to 3 to 4 students studying journalism or data journalism at a UK university.
The Partnering Media Organisations would be required to offer each student.
1. a month-long internship, giving experience of working alongside established journalists who work with data routinely to produce high-quality editorial
2. an opportunity to develop their editorial and technical skills through mentoring and on-site exposure to a working newsroom
3. constructive feedback about their own skills and approaches to working with data
4. an opportunity to work on editorial output as part of a team with a view to it being published (although we ask for no guarantees of published work)
5. feedback at the end of the month to the ONS about their month and guidance on future development of the student
One student would be placed with each media organisation, which ONS would pay a bursary to each student – either directly to the student or via the media organisation.
The students would be selected through a process that would be developed in conjunction with the partner media organisations. The selection process would involve students articulating how ONS data can be used for public good in a news context.
About the buyer
Applications for this tender are excepted through ONS e sourcing portal of In-tend
ITT – Provision of Media Organisations to Partner ONS to Support Internship for Journalism Students.
Applications for this tender are excepted through ONS e sourcing portal of In-tend. Please click on the link to register to In-Tend https://in-tendhost.co.uk/ons
How to apply
Please apply directly to the buyer using the contact details provided.