Research into the effectiveness of Design and Access Statements in Wales
Since their introduction, DAS have been subject to praise, criticism and discussion. Many good designers produce design and access statements as a matter of course. However, Access Groups have concerns about the effectiveness of the statements.
Since their introduction, DAS have been subject to praise, criticism and discussion. Many good designers produce design and access statements as a matter of course. However, Access Groups have concerns about the effectiveness of the statements. It is considered from the information we have already that the perceived issues associated with DAS can be grouped into three areas:
• Delivery – that DAS have not delivered accessible quality outcomes;
• Complexity – that design and access statements have further complicated the system including validation; which adds delay to the planning application process and has led to inconsistencies between authorities;
• Duplication – that other regimes could be better mechanisms for improving delivery of some aspects of good design.
The Welsh Government’s Framework for Action on Independent Living went out to consultation on 20th September 2012. Under priority 6 of the framework, a review of DAS as a tool for achieving accessibility, including examining how DAS sits along side Building Regulations Access requirements is recommended. TAN 22 was introduced as the sustainable buildings policy to act as a stepping stone until Building Regulations, devolved in December 2011, have been reviewed by the Welsh government. TAN 22 sets an expectation of BREEAM ‘very good’ with an ‘excellent’ score for energy for non-domestic building and Code for Sustainable Homes score level 3 with extra credits for energy in new housing.
For these reasons, the purpose of this research will be to gather evidence on the: effectiveness of design and access statements in influencing the final design of proposed developments as part of the planning application process; key perceived issues noted above and any other barriers to the delivery of good design through the mechanism of DAS; and to consider improvements to DAS or alternative mechanisms, including the role of future building regulations’ requirements.
The Objective is to explore the effectiveness of the design and access statements, by reviewing current practice focussing on Delivery, Duplication and Complexity.
Classification of contract (CPV codes)
73300000 – Design and execution of research and development.
Most economically advantageous tender in terms of:Criteria as detailed in the contract documents
SECTION IV: Administrative Information
E-TENDER ACCESS INFORMATION:
– Go to https://etenderwales.bravosolution.co.uk
– The first person from your Organisation to use the Platform will be required to register on behalf of the Organisation.
– Registration involves accepting a User Agreement, and providing basic information about your Organisation and about the User performing the Registration.
– The User who performs the Registration becomes the Super User for the Organisation.
– On registering on the Platform the Super User will select a Username and will receive a password.
– The Password will be sent by e-mail to the email address that was specified in the User Details section of the Registration page.
– In order to log-in to the Platform please enter your Username and Password.
– Note: If you forget your Password then visit the homepage and click “Forgot your password?”
– Registration should only be performed once for each Organisation.
– If you think that someone in your Organisation may have already registered on this Platform then you must not register again.
– Please contact the person who Registered (i.e. the Super User) in order to arrange access to the Platform.
– Contact the Helpdesk immediately if you are unable to contact the Super User (for example if they have left your Organisation).
– Note: If your Organisation is already registered on the Platform then you must not make any additional registration. Please contact the Helpdesk to gain access to the Platform.
– Tenders must be uploaded to the BravoSolution portal by 2pm
HOW TO FIND THE ITT:
– Once logged in you must click on ‘ITT’s Open to all Suppliers’
– The etender references for this contract are: Project_24367 and ITT_37896
– Click on the title to access summary details of the contract. If you are still interested in submitting a tender, click the ‘Express an Interest button’. This will move the ITT from the ‘Open to all Suppliers’ area to the ‘My ITT’s’ on the home page.
– You will then see the full details of the ITT in the qualification and technical envelopes along with any relevant documents in the ‘Attachments’ area.
– Should you have any questions on the ITT, please use the ‘Messages’ area to contact the buyer directly – Please do not contact the named person at the top of this notice.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 0800 368 4850 / Fax: 020 7060 0480