Skills for Independent Living London Borough of Brent
Brent Adult Social Care Commissioning and Change Team are seeking to develop a new service for adults who have a learning disability and are living in the community.
- London Borough of Brent
- Skills for Independent Living – Market Testing
- Additional Categorisation(s):
- Brent Adult Social Care Commissioning and Change Team are seeking to develop a new service for adults who have a learning disability and are living in the community. We are greatly interested in discussing the service with providers who have experience of working with service users who have a learning disability and/or delivering specialist Reablement services to assist us with our direction in developing this service. It is essential we speak with experienced providers to assist us to learn from their past experience and expertise.
The working title for the service is ‘Skills for Independent Living’. The service will provide short term, outcome focused care which focuses on goals to be achieved to maximise the service user’s independence within their own home and local community. The service would support eligible service users under The Care Act eligibility criteria to achieve the following outcomes:
- Activities of Daily Living (ADL’s) in the home environment: getting up on time (setting alarm, checking alarm has been set), washing, dressing, identifying suitable clothing, preparing breakfast,
- Safety Training in the home: identifying the fire alarm and how to respond, using a telecare pendant, calling for emergency support, responding to the doorbell.
- Travel training to known locations identified as important by the service user and achievable by the care assessor/social worker, individual and service provider (e.g. local shop, individual’s carer, college) by foot, bus or train as the service user is capable.
- Implementing and support to use assistive technology where appropriate.
- Linking the service user with classes, groups or services locally (e.g. the gym, local clubs, exercise classes, arts & crafts sessions, cinema groups) and supporting them to initiate the use of these services. Identifying and supporting the most appropriate method of independent transport (e.g. dial-a-ride).
We would like to hear from providers about how you think the service might work in practice, what will be needed to make the service successful and discuss how costs are established. We would really appreciate you giving us some of your time to ensure we can put in place a new service that will truly meet the needs of the learning disability population.
We are looking to hold individual provider sessions of up to 45 minutes each on 20.11.2015. If you would like to participate please respond to this email to book a session. If this is not possible for you, please let us know your availability and we can find another suitable date. Please contact Project Development Officer Sandhya Thacker on 0208 937 4236 or Sandhya.Thacker@brent.gov.uk if you wish to book to meet with us or to discuss the service in more detail.
As this is a market testing opportunity and NOT a tender opportunity, please direct all communication to the phone number/ email above and NOT via the Portal.
- Miss Katherine Cusack
- Email Address:
- Brent Civic Centre
- 09/11/2015 08:40
- 19/11/2015 08:00
- 0 (months)
- 0 (months)