What should freshers take to uni?

What do you need when you start university? Post suggestions in the comment section, or tweet with the hashtag #gdnstudents

The countdown to freshers’ week has begun – which means if you’re beginning university this autumn, now is the time to start thinking about what to pack.

Everyone knows the basics: clothes, a tootbrush and your parents’ tin-opener. But do you need to take any important paperwork with you? Some universities ask to see students’ exam certificates during induction sessions.

You might also need a CRB check, if your course involves working with children, or documents relating to your accommodation.

And, talking of student housing, is your bedroom fully furnished? How will you decorate it – traffic cones, fairy lights or piles of books?

If you’re self-catered, it’s a good idea to stock up on long-lasting foods such as dried pasta, tinned soups and tea bags. Tupperware, crockery and washing-up liquid are also worth taking.

Household items aside, you’ll need plenty of blank notebooks, pens and a decent memory stick. The more you pack now, the less you’ll need to buy during term.

What other items should freshers take to uni this September? From coat-hangers to cheese-graters, we want to know. Post your suggestions in the comments section below, or tweet with the hashtag #gdnstudents.

guardian.co.uk © 2012 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

Enjoyed this post? Share it!


Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.