Design and Supply of Transportation Flask
DSRL are seeking a qualified and experienced contractor to: (a) design, build and licence a flask (type B package) and supporting equipment suitable for use within the UK and capable of transferring irradiated Fuel (full sub-assemblies, loose pins and part pins) and (b) design and build all ancillary equipment.
United Kingdom-Thurso: Engineering design services
Section I: Contracting authority
Dounreay Site Restoration Limited
D1300 / 63, Dounreay, Caithness
Contact point(s): Contract Officer
For the attention of: Janet Rosie
KW14 7TZ Thurso
Telephone: +44 1847803910
Fax: +44 1847802521
General address of the contracting authority: http://www.dounreay.com
Further information can be obtained from: The above mentioned contact point(s)
Specifications and additional documents (including documents for competitive dialogue and a dynamic purchasing system) can be obtained from: The above mentioned contact point(s)
Tenders or requests to participate must be sent to: The above mentioned contact point(s)
Section II: Object of the contract
Main site or location of works, place of delivery or of performance: Dounreay, Thurso, Caithness, KW14 7TZ.
NUTS code UKM61
71320000, 39226220, 90521420
The scope of work is as follows:
1. 3 licensed flasks.
2. 3 transport frames.
3. 38 Multi Element Bottles (MEBs) (based on 35 moves and 3 spare).
4. All documentation to support operation and maintenance of the flask.
5. The flask must be designed, built and licenced to comply with all relevant IAEA regulations and transportation systems in the UK providing adequate radiation shielding to satisfy radiological safety criteria and minimise operator and public dose levels.
6. The flask must be capable of being transported by road, rail and sea. Handling features must be suitable for intermodal transfer.
7. Total weight of flask not to exceed 80Tonne.
8. The fuel must be transferred dry from site A to site B.
9. The package must be loaded in vertical position and manual interface with the package shall be required for all operations except those conducted within a shielded environment e.g. fitting multi element bottle, MEB loading, etc.
10. The internals must be capable of holding a Multi Element Bottle.
11. The flask must be licenced for the whole contents of the Dounreay Irradiated inventory.
12. The flask should also be capable of being handled at Sellafield Thorp Receipt and Storage.
13. The design shall be capable of carrying a minimum number of fuel containers preloaded with irradiated Fuel dry utilising “multiple high standard water barriers” within a MEB.
14. Carryout all testing and modelling to support a licence submission. All drop tests to be carried out in accordance with IAEA requirements.
15. Prepare and deliver all necessary documentation to support operation, maintenance and emergency operations of the flask.
In accordance with guidelines issued by the Office of Nuclear Regulation – Civil Nuclear Security (ONR – CNS), this contract opportunity has a Security Classification of Restricted.
From 2.4.2014 the Government is introducing its new Government Security Classifications (GSC) classification scheme to replace the current Government Protective Marking Scheme (GPMS). A key aspect of this is the reduction in the number of security classifications used. All potential suppliers should make themselves aware of the changes as it may impact on this Requirement. The link below to the Gov.uk website provides information on the new GSC:
Estimated value excluding VAT:
Range: between 10 000 000 and 15 000 000 GBP
Section III: Legal, economic, financial and technical information
As detailed in the Pre-Qualification Questionnaire (PQQ) within the CTM System.
Section IV: Procedure
Prior information notice
Notice number in the OJEU: 2013/S 229-397406 of 26.11.2013
Section VI: Complementary information
To receive more information about this tender, including any amendments and/or clarifications and to request any clarifications and/or to respond to this tender, you must register your interest to this tender on the following site: https://uk.eu-supply.com/dsrl.asp
Dounreay Site Restoration Limited Board of Directors
Telephone: +44 1847802121
Body responsible for mediation procedures
London Court of International Arbitration
70 Fleet Street
EC4 4EU London
Dounreay Site Restoration Limited Commercial Manager
KW14 7TZ Thurso
Telephone: +44 1847802121
VI.5)Date of dispatch of this notice:10.3.2014