Domestic energy use study

Domestic energy use study: to understand why comparable households use different amounts of energy

Tender for the supply of research to help DECC understand why comparable households use different amounts of energy at home.

Reference number: TRN332/12/2011

Deadline date: 06/02/2012

This deadline is for… noon

Contract value: £50,000 – £95,000

Location where the contract is to be carried out: London

Is this suitable for smaller suppliers? Yes

Is this contract suitable for a voluntary, community and social enterprise organisations? No

Name of the buying organisation: Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC)


Description of the contract

Tender for the supply of research to help DECC understand why comparable households use different amounts of energy at home. Household energy consumption varies with the size, age and type of property as well as household income and tenure (rented, owner-occupied, council or social housing). These factors can explain about 40% of variation in gas bills: our primary objective is to improve our understanding of what explains the remaining 60%. The secondary objective is to improve our understanding of why electricity consumption varies. Our aim is to build up a rich ‘people-centred’ picture of how and why households use energy in the ways that they do (how they cook, clean, relax, work and so on) and what they know about their energy use. We expect there to be a broad range of reasons ranging from lifestyle to motivations, attitudes and so on. We would like to combine detailed qualitative research with some degree of energy monitoring so that reported behaviour can be compared with actual energy use. Given the primary focus is on gas consumption, the main aim is to improve our understanding of space heating and water heating. This means it is imperative to begin fieldwork before the winter heating season ends. Contract documents The full research specification will be issued on Wednesday January 11th. Contract will be awarded based on: • Well designed and appropriate research methodology (30%) • Experienced team, with a proven track record in both (30%): 1. Qualitative research: Specialist qualitative research which moves beyond what people say to understand what they do and why they do it; 2. Energy: Sufficient and appropriately deployed expertise in domestic energy consumption. • Clear and robust solutions to the challenges with meeting the research objectives (20%) • Value for money: a proposal which delivers maximum insight, even if this costs less than the maximum budget available (15%) • Clearly defined timetable which meets our deadlines and includes an approach to identify and managing risks (5%) Contract type: Specialist Qualitative Market Research (e.g. in home interviews, ethnographic observations, diary studies) and monitoring domestic energy consumption.


Classification of the contract

73000000 Research and development services and related consultancy services


Additional information

Contract type: Services – Unspecified

Is it a framework agreement? No

Is this contract related to a programme of funding? No

Contract will be awarded based on: Most economically advantageous tender in terms of: The criteria stated in the contract documents

Estimated length of contract: 6 Months


Who to contact

Contact name Matthew Lipson

Address Area 2A, 3 Whitehall Place, London, United Kingdom, SW1A 2AW

Telephone 0300 068 5482

Extension number:



Web address


How to apply

If you wish to take part in this procurement please download the full Tender Specification and relevant documents for this procurement when they become available on Wednesday January 11th. Please contact Matthew Lipson if you have been unable to find these documents by Thursday January 12th on 0300 068 5482 or : DECC reserves the right to halt the procurement process and to not award a contract. DECC will not be held liable for recovery of costs from unsuccessful bids if a contract is not awarded. All costs will be borne by the bidding organisations. If a contract is created it will be upon DECC terms and conditions, which are available on the main DECC website – and will be issued to organisations invited to submit a tender bid. Completed tender submission must be returned by post to Matthew Lipson at DECC, Area 2A, 3 Whitehall Place, London, United Kingdom, SW1A 2AW, by noon on February 6th, 2012. We require 3 hard copies (one of which must be signed). Electronic versions of your bids are to be sent to Interviews, if deemed necessary, will be held in the week commencing February 13th (suppliers will be notified of this in the week commencing February 6th). If successful and upon contract signature, the supplier is expected to attend a kick-off meeting taking place on February 20th. Project completion is required by August, 2012. Proposals submitted after the deadline, noon on February 6th will not be considered.