The Development is a conversion, from offices to private residential, of a prominent Grade 2 listed corner building.
Contractor for refurbishment 11 & 12 Northumberland Square and Unicorn House New Build Scheme
North Tyneside Council
- Construction work – 45000000
Location of contract
Value of contract
7 September 2022
7 November 2022
Contract start date
1 December 2022
Contract end date
31 December 2023
Contract is suitable for SMEs?
Contract is suitable for VCSEs?
Project 1 – 11-12 Northumberland Square in North Shields Town Centre (the Development):
The Development is a conversion, from offices to private residential, of a prominent Grade 2 listed corner building at Northumberland Square in North Shields. It is presently derelict and has suffered from a lack of maintenance for the last 7 years. It was bought by the Local Authority in May 2020 with the intention of bringing forward a complementary residential development based on the successful conversion of 13/16 Northumberland Square next door.
The residential accommodation is on 3 floors. The basement is not going to be used for accommodation but for general storage for owners. The living accommodation is
5No 1 bed flats in the main listed that faces the Square
1No 2 bed townhouse that faces Upper Camden Street.
Carparking for the owners is on the street.
Planning Approval and Listed Building Consent was granted on the 29th April 2022 and documents are available on the planning portal 21/02273/FUL.
Since the purchase of the building the Council in May 2020 have carried the following remedial works and surveys
• Temporary repairs to the roof valley between the town house and the flats
• Removal of an unsafe chimney to No 11 Northumberland Square
• Internal strapping to the gable wall on Upper Camden Street
• Full de-watering of the basement including a new floor and sump pump.
• Asbestos removal and certification. (there is a small amount of asbestos board left in the basement ceiling in room RGL06 – Drawing Number 522 : 103L).
The proposed key dates for the programme are as follows:
Contract Award November 2022
Date of Possession November 2022
Mobilisation & site security commencing December 2022
Practical Completion by the end of December 2023.
Project 2 – At demolished Unicorn House Site in North Shields Town Centre – NE30 1BB. (the Development).
The Development consists of 28 newbuild units to be built on the recently demolished Unicorn House site (0.5 hectares) in North Shields. Unicorn House was the former name of the 1960’s office block which the Council bought and cleared for the purposes of residential development.
The new development consists of 22 No 3 bed houses, 4 No 2 bed apartments and 2 No 1 bed apartments. 21 No houses are for market sale, 1No house for reduced market sale and 6 No flats are Affordable rent to be sold to Aurora Developments Ltd. The units will have a zero-carbon specification consisting of solar, air source and insulation.
Planning Approval will be awarded subject to a S106 contribution. The Application was submitted in Dec 2020 and has been assessed by the Council’s Planning Team.
Since the purchase of the building and its demolition the Council has,
• Submitted a full planning permission for the development.
• Carried out a site strip and disposal of unsuitable material
• Built a new retaining wall around the substation and re-roofed the building
• Commissioned NPG to re-route the LV cable next to the B
Previous notice about this procurement
- Published 7 September 2022
- Additional text
- The following link can be used to obtain the tender documentation, as soon as you express an interest the documents can be downloaded: https://procontract.due-north.com/Advert?advertId=20e60ceb-9d2e-ed11-8119-005056b64545
How to apply
Follow the instructions given in the description or the more information section.