Requirement for Covid-19 Beds in Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield
To commission 6 designated Covid-19 nursing/EMI and complex beds with the option to increase further.
Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield: Designated Covid-19 Beds
NHS Greater Huddersfield CCG
- Residential health facilities services – 85144000
Location of contract
Yorkshire and the Humber
Value of contract
£104,850 to £209,700
21 May 2021
4 June 2021
Contract start date
14 June 2021
Contract end date
30 September 2021
Open procedure (OJEU)
Contract is suitable for SMEs?
Contract is suitable for VCSEs?
Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield Health and Social Care partners are working together to commission 6 designated Covid-19 nursing/EMI and complex beds with the option to increase further, up to 12, as demand dictates.
It is not feasible to discharge COVID positive patients back to their normal place of residence including care homes for risk of the infection spreading. The strategy of not discharging back to homes has seen a low number of deaths and spread of infection at the height of the pandemic.
A separate, additional bed capacity is therefore required to support this cohort enabling:
• Rapid discharge of COVID positive patients who are medically fit for discharge from hospital and reducing the number of delayed transfers of care (supporting the local plans)
• Bed capacity within the local system for COVID positive patients to mitigate:
? any future wave and/or
? a peak as we enter the summer period
The service will:
• Be provided within Kirklees, or its boundaries, and having good road links to the local Acute Hospitals (Calderdale Royal Hospital, Huddersfield Royal Infirmary, Pinderfields General Hospital)
• The service will be provided by care home staff and supported by, therapies and a dedicated GP service
The Provider will:
• Be CQC registered with a rating of at least good, or be able to reach this standard at service start
• Be CQC approved as a Designated Covid bed setting, or be assessed within 48 hours at service start
• Be a nursing, EMI or Complex bed provider with 24 hour access to nursing care
• Accept referrals from 8am – 7pm, 7 days a week within 0 – 2 hours
• Receive patients on the same day, up to 2 individuals per day
• Update the capacity tracker at least daily
• Ensure all staff are Covid vaccinated, including bank staff
• Work with the Infection Protection Control teams
The price per bed is to be based on circa £1165.
For further information: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/designated-settings-for-people-discharged-to-a-care-home/discharge-into-care-homes-designated-settings
Based on the above the Commissioners are keen to receive responses from suitably qualified providers.
- Bidding documents
- E-Procurement Portal
- Additional text
- If you would like to submit a response for this service, please express your interest by registering on NHSSourcing: https://www.nhssourcing.co.uk/web/login.html. Reference itt_5374.
Once registered, potential providers will be able to complete and upload their submission.
The commissioners retain the right to withdraw this notice.
How to apply
Follow the instructions given in the description or the more information section.
About the buyer
Norwich Union House 2nd Floor, Market Street