Tender for Fisheries Research Assistant
To achieve this the CBFA Ltd are looking for an academic or similar institution which has knowledge and previous experience in the MSC accreditation process to supply, on contract, a Research Assistant who can full fill the duties of the job description.
Cardigan Bay Fisherman’s Association Ltd
Contract Tender for Marine Research Assistant.
Cardigan Bay Fisherman’s Association Ltd was set up in 1996 to create and manage sustainable fisheries on the west coast of Wales. The geographical limits of the Association extend from the Mawddach Estuary in the North to the Teifi Estuary in the South.
There are four main fishing communities within the area, Aberdyfi, Aberystwyth, New Quay and Cardigan with four smaller sites in Aberaeron, Tywyn, Aberporth and Llangranog. The last three have no harbour and as such the boats launch and are recovered from the beach daily.
The Association has a currently thirty seven paid up members, being predominantly made up of full time and part time commercial fishermen along with a smaller number of fish merchants, processors and fish retailers.
The Associations structure comprises of a Board of Directors, elected officers and port representatives, all of which are volunteers, and one paid full time member of staff, the Fisheries Coordinator who is responsible for the delivery of the project and is answerable to the Directors.
The Association was successful in its application to obtain a grant from a combination of European Fisheries Fund (EFF) and Welsh Government (WG) funding to execute the ‘Project’ which was to run from 1st September 2009 to 31 July 2012. The aim of the project was outlined in the Project Plan. To deliver these aims the project identified six integrated component areas:
1. Build on current Infrastructure
2. Add Value to catches
3. Develop and expand existing and New Markets
4. Sustainable Management of the Cardigan Bay Prawn
5. Develop Fishery Diversification
6. Provide advice and guidance on Training and Safety.
The CBFA Ltd is hoping to extend its current project from 31st July 2013 to 31st July 2015 by securing further EFF and WG funding to allow, under Component 4 of the Project Plan ‘Sustainable Management of the Cardigan Bay Prawn’, to achieve Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) accreditation for the ‘Cardigan Bay Prawn’, Palaemon serratus, fishery.
To achieve this the CBFA Ltd are looking for an academic or similar institution which has knowledge and previous experience in the MSC accreditation process to supply, on contract, a Research Assistant who can full fill the duties of the job description below:
Cardigan Bay Fisherman’s Association
Job Description: Research Assistant
The Research Assistant will be seconded from an academic institution, or similar, on a contractual basis to full fill criteria required for successfully attaining Marine Stewardship Council accreditation for the Cardigan Bay Prawn, Palaemon serratus, fishery
The secondment will be for two years, being a full time position in first year and part time position in the second year of the MSC Accreditation process.
The Research Assistant will be responsible to, and supervised by, the Fisheries Coordinator and The Board of Directors. Their work schedule will be determined by the collaboration between the Fisheries Coordinator and the Academic Institution, or similar, from which the Research Assistant is seconded.
The Research assistant will submit progress reports, on a no less than a monthly basis, to the Fisheries Coordinator who will, if necessary review the Research Assistants schedule of work accordingly.
Research Assistant responsibilities:
Principal 1. Data on Fishery
1. Enhance standard fisheries data collection to include as much data as possible on catches, including weight, location, bait, number of pots and soak time.
2. Collate and process data on Catch Per Unit Effort (CPUE) standardized for vessel effects, location and soak time.
3. Undertake a literature review to identify the spatial extent of the Palaemon serratus stock. Carry out further sampling, by potting or push-netting, as necessary to identify stock boundaries.
4. Conduct monthly sampling at intertidal and sub tidal stations across the fishing grounds to gather data on sex ratios, size and reproductive condition.
5. Estimate age, and growth rates.
Principal 2. Ecological Impact
1. Record by catch species from a sub-sample of catches on a regular basis.
2. Record retained species from a sub-sample of catches on a regular basis.
3. Using existing and additional data assess the impacts of the fishery on ecosystems
There will be further duties where joint responsibilities and assistance to the Fisheries Coordinator occur.
Combined FC and RA Responsibilities
Principal 1. Data on Fishery
1. Assess the stock status of P. serratus. A time-series of catch and effort data may allow a surplus-production model to be applied. Otherwise, setting a reference CPUE level may be a viable alternative.
Principal 2. Ecological Impact
1. Develop a strategy for managing by catch.
2. Conduct a literature review to identify habitats present across the fishing grounds or identify any knowledge gaps.
3. Undertake additional surveys of habitats as necessary. These could be conducted by means of cameras, grabs or beam trawls.
Principal 3. Management
1. Establish clear objectives designed to achieve the outcomes for principles 1 and 2.
The Research Assistant is supported by the Fisheries Coordinator, the Associations Board of Directors and Steering Group and chaired by The Association Chairman.
The Research Assistant should have:-
* a degree in fisheries biology/ biology / ecology / marine biology or similar AND with a masters or an interest in fisheries science.
* Computer Literate with excellent communications skills
* Able to write clear, concise reports, and minutes of meetings
The post is funded through The European Fisheries Fund, “EFF” and Welsh Government.
If your organisation is interested in supplying the above Research Assistants post with all the relevant facilities to full fill the post as described, please send your official tender to Cardigan Bay Fisherman’s Association Ltd. Room 109, The Cambria, Marine Terrace, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 2AZ.
Closing Date for Tender 14th February 2013
For further information please contact via email@example.com.
Classification of contract (CPV codes)
03000000 – Agricultural, farming, fishing, forestry and related products.
Most economically advantageous tender in terms of:Criteria as detailed in the contract documents
SECTION IV: Administrative Information
Tenders should be posted to
Cardigan Bay Fishermans Association Ltd. Room 109, The Cambria, Marine Terrace, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 2AZ.