West Lindsey Empty Homes Project

West Lindsey Empty Homes Project

West Lindsey District Council is looking for an enterprising and ambitious solution to help address the growing issues of empty homes.

REFERENCE WLDC Empty Homes

Awarding body West Lindsey District Council

Est. Start Date: 30/08/2012
Est. End Date: 30/08/2013

Description

West Lindsey District Council is looking for an enterprising and ambitious solution to help address the growing issues of empty homes.

We want to engage with innovative organisations to find out how they can help us tackle this problem and bring empty homes back into use.

We have significant resources set aside to deliver a solution, which provides a variety of social and economic benefits to our residents, which has bringing empty homes back into use at its heart.

We are keen to hear how your organisation might be able to help us and would like to invite you to an information event. This will be held on Wednesday 16th May 2012, from 1 – 5pm at the Guildhall, Marshalls Yard, Gainsborough, DN21 2NA. For more information please visit www.west-lindsey.gov.uk/EmptyProperties

Additional Information

West Lindsey District Council wishes to develop an innovative and sustainable business model or framework, which provides a variety of social and economic benefits to our residents, which has bringing empty homes back into use at its heart.

There are currently 1771 (4%) empty homes in West Lindsey. 1059 of these are long term (6 months plus) and 712 are short term. Of the long term empties 346 (33%) are in Gainsborough, the remaining 713 (67%) are in rural parts of the district. The majority of empty homes are in private ownership and there are no landlords who own vast quantities of empty stock.

The solution needs to deliver the following key outcomes:

-the bringing back into use empty homes in both urban and rural areas to provide a mixture of affordable, open market and private sector housing
-an increase in community “capital” and engagement within areas of high density empty homes
-an improvement of, quality, energy efficiency within individual properties and a reduction in fuel bills for prospective occupiers
-an increase in skills through the provision of apprenticeship and training opportunities
-an increase in employment through the use of local labour
-an increase in provision of renewable energies and technologies to provide a unique selling point
-a mechanism to recycle and reuse capital invested over the proposed lifetime of the project
-an effective governance mechanism to include all key stakeholders

Other key outcomes required are:

-improvement of the appearance and street scene of specific project areas
-a reduction in the levels of anti-social behaviour related within areas of high density empty homes
-increased usage of local community services and facilities
-a reduction in the number of persons on the Councils housing register

We wish to consider a variety of solutions and accept that some of these solutions may not provide all of the desired outcomes and that some solutions may focus on specific geographical areas or property types.

We will consider a variety of options in regards to the effective governance of proposed solutions and would expect any of these proposals to clearly state any capital investment the proposer would be expected to make.

The purpose of the information event is to provide further information and answer any specific questions that interested parties may have. For further information please visit www.west-lindsey.gov.uk/EmptyProperties 

Additional information

Contract Type One off
Procurement Process Prior Information Procedure
Estimated ValueText Description The value of the project will depend on the proposal put forward
Category Housing Management,
CPV codes 98000000,
Suitable for SME YES

Document Available Until

22 June 2012

2 months

Submission Return By

22 June 2012

2 months

Contact Details

West Lindsey District Council
Andy Gray – Strategy and Commissioning Team Leader
01427675195

This contract is being managed by West Lindsey District Council . To request documentation contact andy.gray@west-lindsey.gov.uk